Community Resources |

Financial Assistance

Fairfield Township Trustee

Robertson Building, Room 408
Lafayette, IN 47901
Phone: 765-742-7476
Hours: (Poor Relief) Mon.-Fri. 8:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.

Poor Relief:
The trustee can do the following things after determining if the applicant is eligible:

  1. Pay Rent. They can only pay by voucher. Your landlord must be willing to wait for payment as vouchers are not paid from Trustee office and take 4-6 weeks. Trustee will not pay deposits.
  2. Food Orders. Indiana law prohibits food orders except in an interim period before receiving food stamps, but after applying for food stamps.
  3. Pay Utility Bills. The Trustee can pay current bills, but no back bills and no deposits. Applicant mus apply for Project SAFE per Indiana law.
  4. Pay for Insulin.
  5. If you are not from the area, they can help you return in the direction of your legal residence.
  6. Work orders will be given for amount of assistance if you are able.

2 persons – Not to Exceed $150.00 which includes housing and utilities
3 persons or more – Not to Exceed $225.00 which includes housing and utilities

Other Area Trustees:

Township Phone
Jackson Twp. 765-538-3827
Lauramie Twp. 765-523-2732
Perry Twp. 765-589-8292
Randolf Twp. 765-538-2955
Sheffield Twp. 765-523-2762
Shelby Twp. 765-583-4351
Tippecanoe Twp. 765-567-4140
Union Twp. 765-474-0727
Wabash Twp. 765-743-9452
Washington Twp. 765-589-3293
Wayne Twp. 765-572-2775
Wea Twp. 765-474-9621

Social Security Administration

230 N. Fourth Street
Suite 104
Lafayette, IN 47901
Phone: 765-742-0033 or 1-800-772-1213
Hours: Mon.-Fri. 9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Area served includes Tippecanoe, Clinton, White, Pulaski, Benton, Carroll and Jasper Counties.

The Social Security Office takes and processes claims for retirement, survivors, and disability benefits, answers any inquiries, and makes any necessary changes in established claims to insure that the right amount of benefits goes to the right people. This office also administers the federal benefit programs of Medicare and Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and takes claims under the Black Lung program.

You must be 65 years of age, or receiving disbility for 2 years, or on a dialysis program to receive this hospital and medical insurance.

Disability Insurance:
You must be totally disabled with a disability that will last at least one year, but payments can start after 5 months of disability.

Retirement Insurance:
You can start to receive regular Social Security benefits at age 62 or older.

Survivor’s Insurance:
Usually granted to minor children after the death of a parent, but others are eligible. Income, employment status, and marital status are factors considered when determining eligibility. Ask Social Security if you qualify.

Supplemental Security Income
People in financial need who are 65 or older, or people of any age who are blind or disabled (including children) may be eligible for monthly cash payments.

Tippecanoe County Division of Family and Children

324 South Street
Lafayette, IN 47901
Phone: 765-742-0400

The Tippecanoe County Division of Family and Children has several programs which provide financial help. Whether or not you receive help depends on your situation, but everyone has a right to make an application. When you go to the Welfare Department, you may bring a friend or relative with you. It is usually best to bring a rent or mortgage payment receipt with you, and if you are working, a pay stub.

Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC):
Granted to families in which one of the parents, either the mother or father, is not in the home because of death, divorce, separation, or in jail, and is not able to provide financial support. Medical and dental care are included.

Aid to Dependent Children – Incapacitated Parent:
Granted to families in which both of the parents are in the home, but one or both are incapacitated and, therefore, unable to support the family. A doctor must verify the incapacity. Payments are the same as those for AFDC. Medical and dental care are included.

Aid to the Disabled
Granted to individuals, 18 or older, who are permanently and totally unable to work because of physical or emotional problems. You may still be eligible if you receive Social Security or a pension. Medical and dental care are included.

Assistance for the Aged
Granted to individuals 65 and older who have no income or do not receive enough from Social Security or a pension to meet their needs. Medical and dental care are included.

Assistance for Visual Impairment:
Granted to individuals 18 or older, who meet the legal definition of blindeness. There is a maximum amount per month, plus medical and dental.

Eye Treatment:
Granted to children and adults who are in need of treatment either to prevent blindness or restore sight.

Hospital Commitment:
Pays the cost of hospitalization and follow-up medical care up to 6 months.

Crippled Children:
Provides medical, surgical, corrective care for children under 21 who are:

  1. medically eligible because they are crippled or suffer from a serious long term condition, and
  2. financially eligible as the parents or guardians cannot afford to pay for their care.

Greater Lafayette Community Calendar

 October 2020