West Lafayette Restaurants |

McGraw’s Steak Chops & Fish House

American, Steakhouse, Seafood

2707 S. River Road, West Lafayette, Indiana 47906
Phone: 765-743-3932

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rate this Restaurant
Rating: 2.6/5 (64 votes cast)
Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Seafood
Address: 2707 S. River Road, West Lafayette, Indiana 47906
Phone: 765-743-3932
Closed: Closed Sunday and Monday
Alcohol? Full Bar with Seating Area, Wine List
Reservations: Recommended

15 Responses to “McGraw’s Steak Chops & Fish House”

1. Gloria Klein says:

One of the 3 worst dining experiences we’ve ever had. We had eaten there 6 months ago and the food was good, but this time all 4 steaks were horrible, overcooked, with more gristle and fat than meat, and very tough. The staff were totally unfriendly, almost rude, both the hostess and waitress; the service was extremely slow, and the waitress almost invisible, rarely checking if we needed anything. The place was less than half full during dinner hour on a weekend so I guess that should have clued us in right away that service and quality had gone downhill…..

2. Bill says:

GREAT! I love places like this. You feel at home in jeans or a suit. As good a view as it gets in Lafayette. Killer food!

• Jim says:

Very overated! There after Purdue graduation on 5/14/11 for special dinner with graduate. After waiting 30 minutes past reservation time (7 pm), then 15 minutes for server, found out that prime rib special “ran out 10 minutes ago”. Ordered 3 filets medium-rare, very ordinary, nothing special for the very high price, $33. Very dispointing experience!

3. Over rated says:

Basically the food was alright but not as wonderful as others describe and the service is the worst I’ve ever seen. The atmosphere is ok if you like cramped and loud when you pay 40 to 50 dollars for a meal.

4. Grant says:

Great food and atmosphere esp. on days of Purdue football games. Service and management always impress me.

5. Maddy says:

I discovered this restaurant by chance and I had good experiences but bad too. I love the location and the little patio, sometimes food is good sometimes is not that tasty. I feel like I have to fight all the time to get a table next to the window…I could never succeed. I stopped visiting because little by little I got disappointed by the way I was treated.

6. Aurora says:

McGraw’s is a wonderful place to celebrate a birthday, to entertain out of town guests, or to spend an intimate and pleasant evening with friends and loved ones. The food is great ad I have never had a problem with the service. I never liked fish until I tried theirs! Good food, great wine selection, and a clean dining room. I agree with previous reviewers, it is without a doubt the best restaurant in the Greater Lafayette Area!

7. Emily says:

McGraw’s is the best restaurant in town – hands down! Excellent food, excellent service, awesome location, great atmosphere! I can’t believe some of the negative comments I’ve read above, because everyone I’ve ever encountered who’s been to McGraw’s has absolutely loved it! Highly recommend the Teriyaki Steak Tips and their fish is the best! So many wines to choose from, too! And their dessert is to die for. We went there for my birthday, and I received a free dessert without even asking! Great service – I will always chose to visit McGraw’s over any other place in the area.

8. Nikole says:

When we first moved to indiana in 2005 we were introduced to Mcgraws by one of our new found hoosier friends. We went to Mcgraws a few times a year in 2005 and 2006 and the food and service were excellent. When my parents moved out here in 2007 we decided to go to Mcgraws for my dad’s birthday dinner in december. I was so heartbroken . Our meal was TERRIBLE. My mother and I both ordered chicken dishes. The chicken was unbearably salty so we sent it back to the kitchen just to recieve another unbearabley salty chicken dish. When we asked to have it sent back again the waiter told us that the chicken came packed in a solution!!!!! And that solution is what gave it the salty taste. I could not believe my ears…..I cant believe that they charge as much as they did for a solution packed chicken dinner rather than fresh chicken. My dad had a steak that was like shoe leather. We have not been back since. I would rather pay good money for fresh food than to try going back to Mcgraws. Word of mouth can be the best advertisement ……in our case…we let everyone know that its a bad choice for a terrible dinner.

9. I was pretty disappointed with both the quality of the steak and the service. The steak was closer to what one would expect from an Applebees or Texas Road House, not a chop house. Despite the place being relatively slow, the service was still quite awful. Save yourself some money and go to Applebees. 2/5 stars.

10. Tom & Mary says:

Our last visit to McGraws was the first in quite awhile. We were shocked. We called for reservations and were told “none were available but come early”. We arrived about 5:30 and the hostess said she “would see what she could do”. The wait staff was slow to respond to the occupied table. She was friendly in a distant sort of way. I should also mention that the table was set with paper napkins. The another shock was the food which was placed on the table without comment by the waitress. The small steak was tastless and stringy. In my opinion this is not an the upscale operation that it supposes to be. The service is average at best and the food – in my case was below average. The prices are upscale when compared to the service and quality. For me, there is no reason to return.

11. Jaime says:

Delicious food, but poor service. We were not offered a wine list and our water glasses were usually empty. We were largely ignored as we were sat behind a large party.

12. Chase says:

Best place in town, period!! This is were I ALWAYS take out of town guests. They are always impressed.

13. Steve and Karla says:

Best filet mignon and walleye around!

14. Caleb says:

After following the advice of many, we made reservations in advance and were immediately seated upon arrival. The decor of McGraw’s is very simple – this is to its credit as it’s focus is on the Wabash River, bringing nature indoors, a very pleasant feeling. The wait staff was extremely pleasant and kind throughout the entire night. Our waitress was extremely punctual with greeting us, filling drinks, and serving food. It was definitely the correct amount of service, just enough, but avoiding the feeling of being intruded upon. The food, which is obviously the main reason to go to McGraw’s, was tremendous. I had the chop steak which was nothing short of phenomenal! Cooked to perfection. The rest of my party partook in the salmon and the bacon wrapped filet. The other two dishes got the exact same two thumbs up approval that my steak achieved. The dessert was also extremely tasty. I would suggest having the vanilla bean cheesecake as it was absolutely phenomenal. Overall, Mcgraw’s is by far the BEST kept secret in town. It would be safe to say that you could find McGraw’s keeping up with gourmet restaurants in cities to the likes of Chicago and New York. Way to go McGraw’s! Keep up the fantastic work.

P.S. Do not even get me started on the extensiveness of their wine selection!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks